The Midwest Augustinians' Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel is only one circumscription of several dozen throughout the world. This past year, our Province has been involved in several international efforts in the worldwide Order of Saint Augustine and the greater Catholic Church:
- Our Province took part in the 12th international Augustinian Youth Encounter from July 12-26, 2016. Teens from our parishes and schools traveled across Austria, the Czech Republic, and Poland, visiting cultural landmarks like the home parish of St. John Paul II and ancient Augustinian communities. The next Augustinian Youth Encounter is scheduled for 2019 in Panama.
- This past year, the Very Reverend Bernard C. Scianna, O.S.A., Ph.D., completed his second two-year term as the Prior of the Federation of Augustinians of North America (FANA). He has been succeeded by the Very Reverend Michael DiGregorio, O.S.A., the Prior Provincial of the East Coast Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova. As the Prior Provincial of the Midwest Province, Father Bernie is still a member of the Federation Council. The federation serves as a vehicle for Augustinians across the United States and Canada to collaborate in several areas including vocations outreach, formation, education, personnel, foreign missions, and justice and peace. The federation is now preparing for a convocation to take place in June 2017 at Villanova University.
- In addition to serving as the Prior Provincial for the Midwest Province, Father Bernie Scianna, O.S.A., also serves as the Prior Provincial of the Canadian Province of Saint Joseph. Earlier this year, the Canadian Augustinians unveiled the largest rosary in the world at the province headquarters of Marylake Monastery in King City, Ontario. The rosary stretches across one kilometer in length and extends over twenty acres of rolling hills and old farm fields. Its presence helps further establish Marylake Monastery as the central site for Marian devotion in the Archdiocese of Toronto.
- This past year, Father Edwin Orina Nyaoma, O.S.A., of the Augustinian Delegation of Kenya, graduated from Saint Monica's International College in Rome thanks to a scholarship provided by the Midwest Augustinians. Friars from around the world, typically from more impoverished provinces and vicariates of the Augustinian Order, study at Saint Monica's to learn advanced studies in theology and Augustinian spirituality. The Prior General (worldwide leader of Augustinians) is preparing to propose another student that the Province may sponsor to study at the college.
- This year, the Augustinian Order made history as the first mendicant religious order to hold a general chapter/mid-chapter on the African continent. The Mid-Chapter serves as a time when Augustinian leaders from around the world congregate and review the Order's plans and priorities.